Orono

Four Old Town area fire departments respond to garage fire on Bennoch Road

The cause of a structure fire that brought crews from Old Town, Orono, Milford and Alton to 2390 Bennoch Road on Wednesday, Nov. 13 was determined to be accidental, said Deputy Chief Chris Baker of Old Town Fire & Rescue. 

A resident in the nearby apartment was burning debris when embers blew into the garage unnoticed. 

Chief Baker said additional crews were called to battle the garage fire due to a need for additional water, not manpower. The structure was located beyond the department hydrant district, requiring the Old Town crew to rely on water carried on its engine holding 1,000 gallons. Old Town Fire & Rescue had to call water tankers carrying 2,000-2,500 gallons to battle the blaze. 

There was no risk of the fire spreading to surrounding buildings or brush, however ice conditions from the water flow became a safety issue for crews and passing vehicles causing a need for Old Town Public Works to be on the scene. 

Chief Baker said the recent  Stillwater Ave. apartment fire on Sept .25 and the one on Bennoch Road had human elements in common.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.